VENT TIME. Why I hate Gmail (or any email) security

This is an actual scenario that happened to me a few times on SWAPD (getting more frequent too). The following scenario is me trying to log into a Gmail account to secure it.

Gmail:
Oh hi! Please enter your password.
Me:
Enters password.
Gmail:
It’s correct, but no thanks! Would you try another way?
Me:
Sure, let’s try the creation date guessing game! (After frantic research I did manage to get that).
Me:
Here is the Gmail set up date.
Gmail:
Oh, thanks, I won’t say whether you’re correct or not (I was), but we don’t care about that anymore. Would you like to try another way?
Gmail:
How about a code sent to your device?
Me:
But my client disconnected the device.
Gmail:
We brought it back on file.
Me:
Why would you do that?
Gmail:
Because F-you, that’s why.
Me:
Fine, send the code.
Me:
Confirms.
Gmail:
And these are the actual words Gmail used “We still feel something is wrong, please provide an email address, someone needs to look into this issue. We will contact you shortly.”
Me:
Contemplating suicide.

This is why starting tomorrow we will rewrite email transfer protocols!

We will probably start forcing all sellers to provide email unlock codes right off the bat, this way we will circumvent any red-tape the email providers throw at us. I still need to research this, but I think I am right and it would make transfers super fast and easy.

1 Like

Pretty soon you will sign up for email and unable to log in to it right away, forever.

“SORRY, THIS INBOX IS SUSPICIOUS AS ITS NEW. TO PREVENT SPAM, WE’RE PERNAMENTLY LOCKING IT AND BANNING YOUR DEVICE FROM ALL OUR SERVICES.”

1 Like

Honestly lost it at the contemplating suicide part :joy::joy:

I know the frustration lmfao

1 Like

I wonder how many times these security systems locked out someone who really was the owner, for example:

1. A businessman goes on vacation.
  2. Gets his laptop + phone stolen at the airport.
  3. The businessman has business to do, so he buys a new phone/laptop at the first shop he sees.
  4. He tries to connect from his hotel, on his new device.
  5. ???

Worst yet! What if the thief opens the laptop, sees the logged in inbox, and sees a “someone tried logging in from a new device” email, clicks it and chooses “this wasn’t me.”

1 Like