ATTN EU SWAPD sellers - Your earnings will soon be reported to the IRS if you earned more than 2000 EUR

UPDATE: We have confirmed everything with our law team and DAC7 forms are coming by the end of the year.

The EU’s latest tax directive, DAC7, which kicked in on January 1, 2023, brings new rules for online marketplaces. For us, these new laws apply today, because in Poland (where SWAPD is registered), this unfavorable-for-everyone law went into effect much later. For the previous tax year (2023), we’ll generate a Form DAC7 for all EU-based freelancers and agencies who signed up on SWAPD in 2023 and made earnings over 2000 EUR. (Those who joined before 2023 aren’t affected by this directive yet.)

We have to send this form to your tax authority and report all payments made to you, if you’ve earned more than 2000 EUR or made 30x transactions.

Just like any business, we’ve got to play by the tax rules. When you make money on SWAPD, you’ve got to follow the tax regulations that apply to you too. We can’t offer legal or tax advice, but we can let you know what documents you’ll get from us.

If you’re a freelancer living in the EU and earning through SWAPD, you need to report this income on your tax return, even if you don’t get any forms from us. We will send a Form DAC7 to all residents in EU member states who signed up in 2023 and received payments from clients on SWAPD during the calendar year.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Which countries are affected?
All of the European Union + 16 other countries (unconfirmed 16 countries, but UK joined for sure)

What does this mean for me as a seller who made 2000 EUR or more?
This means that your SWAPD account will be temporarily blocked in the upcoming weeks. To unlock it, you will need to fill out a DAC7 form, which requires full name/address/TIN/EIN/DOB and payment account details. Once that’s filled out, SWAPD will be forced to send monthly reports of your earnings to the Polish IRS.

What happens if I don’t comply?
DAC7 directive gives users 60 days to comply. If users do not proceed, we will be forced to close their accounts. In addition, submitting fake data will also lead to account termination.

This is madness, any way around it?
No. Even 16 non-EU stats are joining (or will soon join this program). This is a massive change to the way business happens online. In short, the governments are hungry for money, and they want to make sure you pay your taxes.

Can SWAPD not comply?
The governments are becoming crafty. They have placed THEIR responsibility (of tracking down people who don’t pay taxes) under the control of business owners, under very stiff penalties. Not complying would eventually land us with millions in fines.

Can SWAPD move to a country where this doesn’t apply?
Yes, but it would do no good. The law states that even if you’re outside of the jurisdiction, you still need to report if you do business inside the DAC7 countries.

Well, screw this. I am leaving SWAPD, then.
We figured some of you may actually do that, but just so you know, virtually all the reputable places already report you, as they’ve complied with the DAC7 directive. This includes Fiverr, Amazon, eBay, UpWork, Flippa, Sedo, NamePros, all your local versions of auction sites, Vinted, etc. The lesser-known/underground sites most likely don’t do that until they get in trouble.

To conclude this onslaught of bad news, governments are getting greedy and they are holding knives under online business owners’ throats. You have three options here if you’re a serious seller and this is your means of generating income, and they are:

1. Go underground on underground sites
  2. Quit
  3. Actually pay your taxes

I personally do not know whether the information our local IRS will collect from us will affect users who are not from Poland. It’s best to contact your local tax advisor and ask for help. But if you’re from Poland, you should work on going legal with your taxes. Otherwise, you may be in trouble.

P.S. Sites like Binance/CoinBase/Kraken, which many of our users use to accept/send payments (those who aren’t filing taxes), have been reporting your crypto activity to the IRS for years. That also includes Wise/Zen/Revolut/etc.

15 Likes

We still don’t have all the answers yet, and we have a meeting with lawyers this week. However, since UpWork/Fiverr/etc. all joined this program, rest assured we will too.

4 Likes

Protip: Users who already know they will NOT be able to comply may ask to wipe their data (thanks to the GDPR law). However, I strongly advise contacting a tax professional before making drastic decisions.

5 Likes

I checked, Türkiye is not among the DAC7 countries, I think this law covers the majority of the European Union countries.

1 Like

By the way, the fact that you do your job so competently reveals what kind of a boss you are; you are really strict and knowledgeable on these matters. @SWAPD :handshake: :heart:

4 Likes

Believe me, I am inching to either:

1. Selling this site
  2. Going underground
8 Likes

Send me your USDT address, give me a price and let’s start a ticket. :sweat_smile: :grin: :smile: :heart:

1 Like

bye bye

4 Likes

rip

3 Likes

all the sellers about to go man… ffs.

truthfully no one is going to want to do this. Even if they have to they will leave.

2 Likes

As much as we hate it, it’s not our duty to protect tax evasion. Pay your taxes, and if you don’t like it, join the anti-EU movements, and let’s finish this fiasco.

1 Like

Does this apply to Africans?

1 Like

This is only happening because Swapd is using its own escrow system and accepting funds on behalf of the Sellers, right? What if you were to offload this whole process to someone else like trustap? I’m not seeing other marketplace forums like BlackHatWorld imposing similar measures as I am assuming it’s because they are not actively involved in transmitting funds from one entity to another and thus, not paying any of the sellers directly.

7 Likes

F man!! This is so disgusting and irritating atm now, govt is literally hunting ways to grab hard earned money

1 Like

We will have to report on African-made income, but you should be safe from any reports because, as far as I know, very few African countries are participating.

4 Likes

This is going to turn away 95% of sellers.

as majority don’t want to give the info you’re gonna need, and they also have no clue.

We need a work around somehow.

6 Likes

If any Indian is reading this, please let me know what should I do to still sell on this platform.

2 Likes

Register it in diff country and then blacklisting EU sellers will be the last option I guess.

2 Likes

There are not many laws regarding crypto in our country. Since most of the fee I receive is in crypto, I don’t think it will be a problem for me. I don’t know, maybe I don’t understand it at the moment.

Well, Upwork/Flippa/Fiverr/Sedo/etc they are still alive and well. Not sure if sellers are just ignoring this or everyone went legal.