Barney Stinson's CanadianSexActs.org | DA of 42 | 5.5k Inbound LInks | 1.2k Linking Domains

Domain Name: www.CanadianSexActs.org
Website Included: Yes - Current and original used for the show

This domain name was part of an episode of How I Met Your Mother. I am the original and only owner of this site.

How I Acquired It

Back in the day I was a huge HIMYM fan. I happened to be on Yahoo News just as a new article about the show was published. It was how they were using domain names as a tie in for the show and the CanadianSexActs.org domain was mentioned in the article.

I was working from home so I didn’t have to worry about any internet filters so I popped over to the domain to check it out. There was nothing there. I thought it was odd they didn’t even have a holding page so I hopped over and did a WhoIs check. Low and behold, the domain was available so I purchased it.

I quickly put up a “Contact Me” page and left it at that. Soon the producer’s assistant contacted me and we worked out a deal. My first choice of a cameo appearance on the show wasn’t an option. The last component of the deal was to hang a post for my improv comedy troupe in the background of one of the scenes. They never did that so I never transferred ownership.

I was a nice guy (too nice some say) and let them use the domain for the run of the show. When the show ended, I changed the nameservers back to me.

I made a feeble attempt to monetize it but it never really worked out. I’ve sold a minimum amount of tee shirts but that is it.

The show still gets good traffic and I think someone with more time than me could make something of it.

Included in the sale:

-Domain Name
-Current Website (which I built years ago when I thought I would do something with it)
-Original Website built for the show
-Facebook page - which is worthless but I have no need for it.
-Tee-shirt designs if you want them

Let me know what questions you have!

Bump

Bump

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.