CASE STUDY - Making money through affiliate marketing calls

I have been doing agency work and digital marketing for some years, but it wasn’t until a few years ago until I really learned how to make this profit.

I had been doing local business marketing with retainers. The clients were demanding, often scared of advertising, and I spent all my days trying to find new ones.

However, it all changed when I started working with clients who have call centers. Today, I’m going to show you how I taught myself a national marketing campaign that I learned in less than a month and was able to scale to $58,000 in revenue in 2022 and over $247,000 in revenue for 2023.

2022:

2023:

Okay here we go. It all starts with what’s called the Pay Per Call network. There is an industry out there that just pays for lead generation calls. I heard about Flight Booking calls before, but never ran Google ads for them.

There are certain networks out there that you can find, Marketcall, Offervault. Things like these you just have to sign up with them and tell them that you want to run ads for inbound calls and they will pay you money for them.

I started by buying a training, putting up the ads, and losing a few hundred dollars my first few days!

Along with the website, hosting, and time I spent developing a campaign we were a good deal negative.

The training actually got me going, but it wasn’t that good. It suggested bidding on things like “American Airlines support”, “delta phone number”, “united help desk”. While these might have worked in the past, they were not working.

So I switched up to KWs such as “delta cancel flight”, “American book flight”, and “united change flight”. As it happens, a lot of our calls come from people at the airport missing their flights and looking to book new ones right away.

A little more about the campaign, generally we can get around $25 per call on these if they last 60 seconds with the call center, we get paid on it. Thus we just have to be able to generate the calls at $20 or less, and less is a lot better and we make the difference. Also, the great side effect is having travel credit cards, the skyrocket our miles with ad spend (tons of miles for $60k+ ad spend months).

Okay, so I went back and retooled my campaign. It’s important to know, you can just do your own Keyword Search on mobile and find all your competitors. If you don’t know what your site should look like, build one like them! I used Go High Level to build my site, and it’s been super helpful because we have a bunch of different sites that we’ve been able to duplicate.

Also, if you don’t know the Keywords you can use SpyFu to enter the competitors website in and see which ones are working for them and which ones that they are spending the most money on. Hint: if they are spending a lot of money on them, it’s a good keyword.

Ok so after our changes, we really start to see Google cooking, and this where we get more calls and conversions:

Notice how we have now more than 100 conversions, at $25 a piece this is $2500 revenue for the month of September and we are just getting started. Also the cost here, about $1200.

But things weren’t always gravy here. We learned that some of the calls we were getting were being routed for airlines that the clients couldn’t sell for. Airlines like Breeze and Spirit we had to put on Negative KW lists and retool the campaign.

What’s great about this campaign was that we had so many buyers, and if we didn’t like one we could just put a new one on easily and quickly.

But we needed to change the campaign a bit, and then hope to scale it. I had heard about some companies doing as many as 100-1,000 calls per day. Now we are talking the money.

So that’s what we did, we watched our Keywords, we adjusted our ads, and we listened to the calls to make sure our buyers were getting good calls. Then, in September of 2023, we also had $62k in revenue on these:

Ad spend was about $50k, so all in all about $12k profit for the month.

It’s important to note Flight Booking is a grey area on Google and subject to intense bannings/suspensions. We even had a US account manager tell us that it would be no problem, yet had our account suspended. However, there are also other campaigns such as Pest Control, Bathroom Remodel, Nationwide Moving, and many others.

In talking to some of our buyers, they buy 10s of thousands of calls per day. It’s why I have no problem giving all the sauce here. There are so many people each day that want to call and make changes on their flights. I even buy these calls from other media buyers.

More than anything, I want to show that this was one of my big insights into online internet income. Where I could learn a skill, easily apply it and make $10k a month from it.

1 Like

This is an amazing topic, thank you for the insight!

1 Like

Affiliate pay per call marketing is considered a highly risky venture.

Why would networks require your services instead of managing Google ads themselves with a skilled team? They would save money by avoiding the cost of leads that exceed $30 per call.

First.
Have you ever considered that most topics you mentioned fall into a grey area for Google?
The risk of getting your Google account banned is very high.
«We even had a US account manager tell us that it would be no problem, yet had our account suspended»

Second.
Many specific keywords have a cost per click that is not profitable.

Example. You are advertising a bathroom renovation
Selected the keywords “bathroom remodel price”

It costs $7.87 per click. Network pays you $40 per call lead with 30 seconds duration.
Will you generate a lead with every 5 clicks? Probably not. It would result in a loss.

An alternative would be to discover cost-effective keywords using SpyFu and other tools
You pick “bathroom remodel pictures”. It cost $1.72 per click

In this case, you need to generate a call every 23 clicks.
Yet, inexpensive keywords often lead to incorrect inquiries, resulting in complaints from the network regarding your traffic."

Conclusion.
Engaging in affiliate pay-per-call marketing is advantageous when holding a senior role within a call center, offering opportunities to direct incoming calls effectively.
Conversely, solely promoting keywords carries a high risk of significant losses, especially with costly keywords, as a few unsuccessful campaigns can be detrimental

How much revenue have you done in pay per call?