After Spending $57M, Facebook Removed Me And My 25M+ Fans

Hi All,

I own a network of pages, called Shared. We’ve done a lot with videos, images and link posts/articles. We take a lot of pride in our Facebook pages.

A few days before the election, all of our pages, a bunch of ad accounts and my personal fb account were unpublished/disabled.

I firmly believe this was a mistake, and I think Facebook might be reviewing it but communication, as you know, is limited and there were a lot of ‘this decision is final’ messages so it’s hard to know.

I’ve linked to the story below, looking for any and all available help! Thanks for reading and sharing!

12 Likes

Moved to Spotlight Discussions to give you more exposure. Sorry to hear about your pages and your businesses. This isn’t the first time we’ve heard similar stories. Within this community, we call what was commenced against you “being zuck’d”.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried speaking with a representative over the live chat?

3 Likes

Sorry to hear this happened to you. This is a prime example of why building a business that relies on a third party platform you literally have no control over can be a complete disaster. Hope you are able to get them back, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. If it had any pro-Trump posts that’s likely to be it. There was a major purge. Lots of IG and FB pages were magically taken down. Also, when they take the personal Acct tied to everything down it means they had a reason to wipe it all clean rather than an isolated incident/report.

Edit: just read your Medium post. Insane that this kind of relationship doesn’t get a personal response or any attention whatsoever. I’m going to connect you with someone there that may be able to help and get you an answer. Shooting you a PM now.

2 Likes

Sorry for about your business los ,as you said you spend alot of money on fb ads did you have Any FB account manager

2 Likes

Very unfortunate, I suffered the same fate with my pages. Although my spend was no where close to yours. I’ve actually worked as an affiliate for your website in 2017.

7 Likes

I would advise you to take this matter to the court. You’ve spent A LOT on ads. You’re based in Canada and could possibly hit the court. Facebook support doesn’t care at all if they’re killing businesses and taking away employment of people working with that business. Vague replies and no justifications is their usual drill.

Do not give in and keep the fight on.

13 Likes

Oh man if you had not been running ads your business manager and pages probably would have been left untouched. This election they disabled nearly 90% of the ad buying community in fear of what would happen like last election. I’ve seen ad accounts and business managers that haven’t been active in years with no activity whatsoever get disabled.

3 Likes

I’d like to know the status of this going forward, and if FB does anything.

Keep us updated!

1 Like

@Shared can u share page id and some details maybe I could help , atleast give it a try.

It’s totally out of control, this is the giant we have created sadly, this huge power we gave this social media need to be taken away. This is not the first and the last issue everyone is having with their online businesses, we also got our pages removed/claimed completely out of nowhere and what they do with their “support” literally nothing… :rage::rage: @Zuckenburger ur a disgusting human being :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

That’s a crazy story…

1 Like

I don’t wanna be The Devil’s Advocate but spending $57m on pages which the only income comes from articles doesn’t make any sense only if you were boosting content that violates community standarts or politics , also the content u were posting was mostly old ,clickbait ,outdated ,aggressive sometimes with keyword (dead,killing ect) . 99% of publishers got their pages deleted for that reason long before that , you can consider yourself lucky that you survived this long time . FB did lot of updates preventing these kind of articles to be posted … however I hope you get your pages back because we all know the feeling .

5 Likes

Thanks everyone, a lot of great replies and support. Some great ideas, too.

I’ll just say that yeah, I get that this is part and parcel of playing in Facebook’s sandbox. I get that, and I don’t hold it against them. We didn’t just spend $57M on pages, though. We have tested many business models over the years. When we first started buying on Facebook, pages weren’t even around and it was years before we saw them as a valuable asset. Recently, almost all of our spend was through the Freebies business, not Shared which was just focused on organic content.

At the end of the day, I’m hoping for an open and constructive conversation with Facebook to rectify this. If we did something wrong somewhere, then certainly don’t punish the whole business and help us to understand so we can continue working on a platform that we love. A lot of people like to hate on them, but I’ll always appreciate the opportunities they provide so many of us to get started and grow something big. I’d just also like them to not take them away without reason…

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate you all!

4 Likes

I can introduce you to a few people that have some sort of access to FB I believe, Nicholas Kusmich, Jared Codlin, or Jason Hornung…they’ve been my go to guys when it comes to this…and maybe with their networks, they could help you get direct help. Let me know if I should ask them and see if they can be of help, then I can make some intros

3 Likes

You should get an internal team to review your pages. Go to chat service and ask one of the concierge to submit a form for a human review. $57M? You’ll get your property back 100%.

1 Like

The ‘Facebook Concierge’ live support is operated by ‘Facebook Business Marketing Experts’ through Accenture and ConnectAds (not actual Facebook employees). They have no insight into internal processes and will tell you that when you start asking for administrative actions. They can elevate certain queries to Facebook, but in most cases, they’ll just claim they did, and let you know in a few days that the request was denied (I know because I know someone who did that job).

Your best shot would be to get connected with someone who has a strong relationship with Facebook, or someone who works there. In these types of cases, a regular partner manager wouldn’t even be enough. You need someone high-up in their policy team.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s been our experience so far. Our business is complex and nuanced, and we need someone who will look at our situation with the appropriate experience and authority level to go through it all. I’ve started to wonder if part of my problem is that each business’s experience on the platform is negatively impacting the other’s. Which leads me to ask, is FB actually sending me a message that we’re doing too much business on the platform? Which is sad, as I have always just wanted to do more. I really do love the platform. I’m hoping we can make the right in-roads to get to the right person.

1 Like

I’ll send you a PM and see if there’s anything I can do to help you.

1 Like

this is based on region, especially Europe does not have an internal team and they are external agents