Friendly reminder to use secure passwords on SWAPD. Some VIP users had their accounts compromised

If you’ve spoken with @garzuaga, @miccheckglobal, or @multimrweb in the recent days, it most likely wasn’t them. We’ve noticed some strange activity with those accounts, and it seems they were compromised. We weren’t breached, so we assume that someone is brute-forcing easy to guess passwords on SWAPD. We suggest you secure your account ASAP.

For now, those three accounts were suspended until they email us. Thanks to everyone who reported this. One more thing, if you notice anyone behaving strangely (asking for direct payments/etc), please report them to us ASAP. These malicious users are using VIPs to lure people into sending them payments offsite.

Thank you and be safe.

28 Likes

Whoever is behind this runs this discord account: HeyItsDom#3288

4 Likes

Oh my lord, these compromised accounts actually managed to cheat some of our users. This is why you always use a checkout ticket, even with VIPs. Because you never know who is on the other end of that account. These accounts were selling things like “Fraud Bible.PDF” in PM’s and some users actually fell for it…

5 Likes

Some of our VIP users used passwords like 12341234 (sigh) so thanks to them, we’re enforcing a stricter password policy. In the upcoming days we will force all accounts to change their passwords, sorry!

6 Likes

You can tell brute force attempts.
Maybe they use same pass from other forums who got hacked.

3 Likes

Thats not brute force, bruteforce is mass trying PWs running a script

1 Like

Was the recent sales thread posted by @garzuaga, posted by the hijacker? I’m gullible but reading it felt like a long time SWAPD user had written it.

Yes. It has since been deleted.

More users are coming out of the woodwork, crying foul play because they were cheated by going offsite with these hacked accounts. Honestly, please don’t even contact staff with such problems. You’ve broken our rules and you expect support? That’s not how this works.

Currently, we tallied up around 500-600 USD in lost funds.

5 Likes

People who think long time users can be trusted need to rethink things. Yes, your odds of getting cheated are much lower if you go with a long time member, but you can still get conned from time to time. I’ve been cheated by (what I thought) were very good and long time clients of mine. The scams usually happen when individuals decide to “quit the game” and score a few big gigs before leaving this business. Anyway, this situation should be a reminder to all of us to keep an eye out.

Thanks again to everyone who reported the odd behavior of those users.

11 Likes

More users contacting us asking for help because they were scammed offsite. Just a reminder to everyone to keep your passwords safe.

1 Like

Ban them

I was honestly thinking about it. As far as the person responsible for this, there is a good chance that we will be able to get more information on him :slight_smile: The internet isn’t such a big place after all.

Aaaand more users are coming out. I am honestly so disappointed, as some of them are VIP/PM members. The next person who contacts staff to report that they were cheated = ban.

1 Like

Every time I see somebody say “done a deal offsite” idk where the fk that could even happen. I know SWAPD and one other seedy site that I can’t even remember the URL of.

Anybody who’s legitimate can do deals (buy and sell) on here. You pay a fee. Who cares? Better safe than sorry. And if you do lose your money because of a jacked account that slips through, it’s likely that seller can never sell here again and you’ll get some reimbursement thanks to the scammers fund.

There are a few dickheads on here that think they run ■■■■, don’t reply to messages etc. Once you experience it though then don’t deal with them again. Chances are there are 5 other people offering the same service, who actually give a ■■■■.

Idk is this off-topic?

4 Likes

We don’t have a scammers fund but we do try to help. Just the other day we were able to recover funds (via PP dispute) for our client who lost a property (pull back).

3 Likes

Aren’t the users who got compromised kinda responsible for the scams? They’re the ones who didn’t secure their accounts & let scammers use their account to scam.

You should be able to feel okay dealing with people. For example there’s also a currency exchange forum, which people don’t need to use a ticket for.

I agree people shouldn’t go offsite for any reason (I don’t know what’s being ‘sold’), but I’m not sure if only the buyers are here to blame…

1 Like

Not sure to be honest, didn’t look at this problem at that angle. This could be might as well our fault as a company because we didn’t enforce strong enough passwords? Anyway, this isn’t over yet. We’ve contacted our server admins to audit things and see how secure we truly are, and we’re currently pursuing the individual responsible for this. We have his Discord handle which he has been using for a while now, if needed we will contact Discord Inc. and ask for help in tracking him down.

Just like ID Verification, there should be 2 Fac on each account if they want to buy or sell something here.

Maybe that will prevent users from getting their account compromised.

4 Likes