Mobile: back button should take user to the part of the page they were browsing initially

Software / OS details: iPhone - SWAPD app version 1.3.1, IOS 12.1.2)

The issue with the app, is that:

• If you’re scrolling far down while viewing listings, then click on a listing and decide that you don’t want to view the listing anymore, and would like to resume browsing other listings.

• So you click the Back button inside the app, and it takes you back to all listings, but scrolls all the way up to the top.

• Now you have to scroll for a solid 20-30 seconds to get back down to the point you were at before clicking the listing.

Suggestion:
• When Back button is clicked, don’t scroll all the way up,
• Instead, bring the user back to the point they had scrolled to prior to viewing a listing.

1 Like

Unfortunately our app developer quit (he landed a sweet job) and it’s not in the budget for now for us to hire anyone else. Our website actually works better via a regular mobile browser, but you won’t get notifications unless you’re on Android. We are working with other sites to hire a team to continue the app project which desperately needs an update, but the outcome of this is currently unknown.

Honestly, we want to get rid of the app all together. Android already allows mobile browser push notifications. Once iOS does the same, there is no reason to have a standalone app anymore.

2 Likes

Have you heard about any of the different frameworks / libraries that are used for making a website and making it work in an app, such as Ionic?

Just because I’m intrigued, I’d love to hear how your current app is set up - e.g. library or coded in swift.

I’m a web developer myself, so I’m always looking to learn.

Our app is basically a modified browser/wrap. We run on discourse, which is uber mobile friendly. No need to rewrite it, just needed a native app for it.

The tech behind it can be found here:

If you go to a mobile version of our website and app, you will see it’s almost identical. We’ve only made slight changes so the APP store could approve us (it’s one of their rules, the app can’t be 100% the same as the mobile version of your site).

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for that, will be fun to read about.

1 Like