We're closing the Blackbook section due to the General Data Protection Regulation

In a small win for scammers, the new GDPR rules are forcing us to stop publicly shaming scammers, which is a bummer. But, on the other hand, the GDPR introduced by the European Union is forcing companies all around the world to give users more control over their data. For the most part, bigger sites are rolling out GDPR compliant options globally for their users (except for Facebook). What does this mean for people located in Europe and companies who want to do business in Europe? Well, you will be able to wipe any of your data from any network/site you choose. You will also be able to track and see exactly what data is kept on you. I personally find this amazing, even though it will be annoying for webmasters all over the globe to comply.

This is a big win for privacy in general, even though it forces us to shut down our Blackbook. We will still keep certain identifiers in a private database that we will use to crosscheck for known scammers, but shaming scammers in public is over.

6 Likes

But you can start a BANNED LIST/REGISTER. Thanks

1 Like

We have something like that internally. We crosscheck things at each checkout.

Banned List must be public.

Banned users? We can’t do that. Banned properties? Yes. But we would prefer to keep that internally.

Glad to hear that you are in line with GDPR.

1 Like

Really didn’t have a choice :smiley:

2 Likes

Thats actually crazy, in a good way though in my opinion.

Could you clarify on “Well, you will be able to wipe any of your data from any network/site you choose.”?

From what I understand, the GDPR gives the power back to the people in regards to their privacy. You will be able to request what data (for example) Facebook stores on you, and you will be able to have it COMPLETELY erased. If (for example) Facebook (or any other company) were caught breaking this rule, the fines equal some ungodly amounts, or a % of your yearly income (which ever is greater). From what I have been told, Google is rolling out this feature globally (because it’s cheaper for them to comply, it’s not that they care about you all of a sudden), while Facebook is trying everything they can to get around it and only comply within the European Union. The GDPR rolls out May 26th. We’re not even fully compliant yet, so I need to make sure you guys have a clear way of asking us to remove your data, double opting for the email notifications, and a cleared way of accepting our Terms of Service.

1 Like

If my knowledge about this is true, then I am all for it :smiley: Finally some good news about online privacy and +1 for the European Union.

Here is the article 17 of the GDPR: Art. 17 GDPR – Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’) - General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

It clearly states that you will be able to ask the data holder to erase the data. And it doesn’t matter if the data-center is outside of Europe. If you deal with European clientele, you must comply with this law.

Does this only apply to Europe and European users?

Yes, if you’re not from the EU I believe you won’t get to benefit from this. But someone told me Google said screw it and it’s rolling this out globally, so I guess you will be able to benefit from this if you use Google.

Guess thats one plus for me :grinning:

1 Like