We currently have a few tickets where we’re trying to transfer the OG-email (Gmail), but it seems something changed recently, as 9 out of 10 times Gmail won’t let us change the password without sending a code to the old phone on file. So, what’s the problem? Just change the phone number and remove the old one, right? Nope. No matter what we do, things still revert back to the old phone number on file.
Here is an example of what we did to tackle this:
- Seller removed old phone.
- We log in, try to change the pass. Nope, it asks for codes on the old phone.
- So we ask the seller to log in again from his device, and we remove his device from the device managers list. Then we try to change the pass, nope. It reverts to the old number again.
- We check all old browsers and unsync all of them. Nope, reverts to the old number again.
- We add our phone number. It saved. But even so, when we try to change the pass, it’s asking for codes on the OLD phone, despite the new number being on file.
- We turn 2FA on (via phone). Nope, still can’t change the password.
- We asked to remove the accounts from account lists on the sellers’ devices. Nope, didn’t work.
- One seller even formatted his phone. Nope, didn’t work.
- We’ve confirmed the code sent to the old phone, changed the password and logged out. When we log back in and try to change again, it’s still asking for codes on the old phone.
We’ve tried EVERYTHING we could. No matter what, since the past few days, all Gmail accounts are doing this. So, since I am up against the wall, I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone has any clue how to solve this. If not, let’s try to solve this pesky problem, otherwise, we will not be able to secure a single Gmail