SWAPD admin stories! Funny/sad/stupid behind the scenes stories of our day to day operation

If you’re bored and are interested in how things work behind the scenes, this topic may be the time-killer you just need to read. As time progresses, we will update it with things that we found interesting/funny/etc. :smiley:

1 Like

Story #1

We’ve made @RandyMarsh a mod a few months back. (This falls under the stupid/sad category)

3 Likes

Story #2

We require that members snap a photo of their ID while holding their documents against a PC screen with our website in the background. People who don’t expand the browser window all the way leave their desktop exposed. We had one client submit a photo of his exposed desktop that included files/programs such as:

• psswddump.txt
  • account_cracker.exe
  • bruteforcer.exe
  • etc.

1/4 of his desktop was filled with cracking/brute force tools, proxies, shortcuts to sites like OGU/etc. Not sure if this was on purpose, but we had a good laugh about it and we’ve denied his membership :smiley:

4 Likes

Looking forward to more cool stories. Keep them coming.

Story #3

A few days ago a buyer made a mistake and instead of wiring us a large payment for a property, he wired it to FameSwap, accidentally. This happened because he got confused and had too many windows/deals opened. So, he wired to FameSwap with a wire description leading to a SWAPD ticket.

2 Likes

More please

Story #4

Not really from SWAPD, but from ViralAccounts. These are the types of questions we get asked sometimes, I honestly don’t know how to respond to that other than “yes!”

Story #5

Not really a story but more of an occurrence. We have a custom-built PM scanner that sends us a link to a private conversation when it thinks something is up. Quite often, I personally forget myself that I am reviewing a PM, and I sometimes randomly like (+1) someone’s response in it :smiley: :smiley: Not because I am trying to be funny, but because of I thought I am in a topic and I liked the users’ response.

2 Likes

Story #6

A new member emails us that he is unable to sign up because his IP is blocked. We asked him for his IP so we can check and he responded with “it’s unethical to ask for IP addresses.”

Then I explained that we need it in order to check, there is nothing we can do about it and we will know his IP if he registers, anyway. Then the user went off and started teaching us how technology works, and that “our website is the root cause of his registration problems and we should fix javascript validation on our end.”

Ehhh.

4 Likes

Story #7

This happens all the time so this isn’t a story about anyone in particular. But, some members think that when they delete a post, an admin can’t see it. For example, they try to get users to go off-site, and once the other person has read the message they promptly delete their post. Long-time members do this to us, also. We’ve just banned some VIP members today for the very reason.

4 Likes

MOAR…

We need More. :smile:

Story #8

A banned user who kept using his dead father over and over again as a reason why we should unban him. He sent like 4-5 emails mentioning his father. This was his latest email after we refused.

Probably invited by @RandyMarsh .

2 Likes

Story #9

Some of you may not believe me but today @Goofy (our fresh admin) verified a Twitter account for a PRESIDENT of a large African country. For obvious reasons we cannot mention which country, but it happened, and it’s amazing. Even presidents (or should I say people authorized on his behalf) use our service providers.

7 Likes

Nigerian prince?

6 Likes

Story #10

Not really a story, but stats of staff activity since the beginning of the year 2020. @shaunthomas doesn’t count because he is our UI guy :smiley:

I am actually shocked to see @RandyMarsh not being last. @Batman! How did this happen?

3 Likes

30,000 PM’s in 165 days, that’s average of 181 PM’s per day.

Quite a lot of work @SWAPD :+1:

2 Likes

That’s 7.9 PMs per minute.

4 Likes

thats because you have ranked it on time reading… if you ranked on actual modification… like flags reviewed and revisions it would be a different story. im also probably the only mod who doesnt really sell on the platform… hence less topics posts and pms… :slight_smile:

1 Like