We're thinking about easing ID verifications, but we will only do it after discussing it with you!

ID verifications are the stuff that keeps (mostly) scammers away! The problem is, it also keeps a ton of legitimate people away from our website who just do not trust us enough with their IDs. I am starting this topic as I want to hear your opinion on this. We don’t want to make drastic changes without the consent of our users.

The idea

The idea is to:

1. Allow unverified users to start tickets
  2. 1000 USD limit per transaction
  3. Bank wire only

The reason behind this idea

1. ID verifications keep scammers away. But you guys can’t imagine how many good people are discouraged from joining SWAPD. Every other day we see PMs with new users saying things like, “Yeah I don’t trust my ID on SWAPD. What if it gets hacked???” Those are very valid concerns. We don’t even like giving our ID to Facebook, am I right? Yet alone some random marketplace forum.
  2. Our competition is starting to get ahead of us, mainly because of our restrictive policies. At some point, this may hurt us in the long run if we don’t make changes that allow fresh blood to join our community.
  3. In the long run, it should help the community grow. And perhaps, more long-time users would join, and finally ID verify, once they see that we’re a legitimate operation.

The downside of this idea

1. We suspect a larger number of problematic tickets
  2. Undesarible users joining

The safeguards

1. Unverified ID members will still be somewhat verified, as they will be limited to bank wire only. That alone, in itself, is a kind of verification. We get the name, address, and account number info.
  2. You can still choose NOT to deal with unverified members.

This is just an idea. We want to know your opinion on this matter.

Leave your thoughts in the comments below. In my next post, I will launch a poll once we’ve discussed this matter for a while. Please only vote after hearing out the community concerns and points.

11 Likes
Is easing ID-Verifications a good idea?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I don’t know

0 voters

If you want to make this scammer paradise, you surely should let people sell without being ID verified :+1:

For buying, I think it should be possible for people to not be ID verified.

20 Likes

Don’t want to make it a scammer paradise :frowning:

1 Like

For buying, yes, for selling, no

21 Likes

What if we make policies for unverified users? Such as 14-day grace periods (or payment holds).

2 Likes

Buyers yeah… sellers no.

5 Likes

Better to push listing’s of every new sellers. Maybe algorithm needs to be more better. It will automatically attract more buyer and sellers. Integrating new payment methods will help too.

Easing is not a good option

Nope. I love it as I know I’m not dealing with strangers.

Anyone who’s not verified I don’t go near

This would be extremely concerning easing id

2 Likes

Doesn’t make any sense

I agree, buying yes, selling no.

2 Likes

Just because you are old seller? I understand it may effect old sellers even it will effect me as a seller but I personally think it’s an ultimate solution.

Keep ‘em out

1 Like

No, because why would the algorithm promote new listings with 0 track record instead of consacrated sellers that can actually deliver

8 Likes

Initially it has to. Everyone starts from zero. Understand, if new people will not get the opportunity or buyers why would they stay for a long? After creating their first listing they will stop working if they get almost zero response. Isn’t it? Rest is Admins choice. I’m happy with everything that’s going on. It was a feedback.

Only someone that is looking for quick cash would do that. An experienced seller would put it the grind, because nothing comes easy

Makes sense to me;

If the account does not have identity confirmation; You can only be a buyer.

If your account is an identity verified; You can buy and sell.

1 Like

Quality over quantity overall.

I do agree that for buyers it could be good though, not for sellers.

Let them know if they’re buying they can do it without being ID verified, but in case they wanna sell they gotta use ID verification.

Anyone should be able to buy or sell without ID verification. If terms are clear and payments are held in Escrow (which they are), there should be no concern.

I don’t get why everyone is saying users need to be ID verified in order to sell. What’s the reasoning behind that?

2 Likes