Why isn't (almost) anyone using SWAPD auctions?

We’ve been bugged about auctions for years. We need auctions! Please enable auctions! We need auctions now! That was the mantra. After spending thousands of dollars and working out the bugs for 2-3 months, hardly anyone uses them. True, they are more expensive, this is why I want to ask everyone what is their opinion.

Why aren’t you using auctions?
  • Too cumbersome
  • I don’t like them
  • Too expensive
  • Other (I will explain in a reply)

0 voters

We’re waiting for your opinions and price recommendations.
For more info on our auctions, click here: What are SWAPD Auctions?

1 Like

Whenever I (rarely) sell something on SWAPD, the most cumbersome thing I found is going back and forth between offers. Such a waste of time, and I personally forgot about many users who made offers. Auctions eliminate all that. We want users to use them, so please tell us what can we do to make them more attractive. Even when we ran 50% discounts on auctions, hardly anyone took a bite.

Barely gets bids, and if gets any, it’s kinda lowball.

1 Like

I have other users who actually sold for more than they expected. And nearly all our ad auctions were completed, also.

Low-ball offers. Put minimum bid allowed and buy now price.

2 Likes

Minimum bid?

Should have option for buy now price and faster time intervals.

5 Likes

Agree.

The time is set by the auction starter. I personally agree that auctions shouldn’t run for 30 days. The solution would be to limit auctions on our end, let’s say 7-day max? The buy it now button isn’t a problem. We can include it.

2 Likes

I think 14 day max is fair. But preference should be for shorter time spans selections. (Maybe via UI with stars next to them)
Something that shows:

:star: 1 Day
:star: 3 day
7 day - (Standard)
14 day (not recommend)

4 Likes

OK, I like that idea. Thank you.

1 Like

I am also thinking about eliminating the option for auction starters to enter the starting bid. Most users (I don’t know why) go crazy and enter large amounts, which deters potential leads. If a reserve price is set, there is no reason why the starting bid should be ungodly.

Buy it now will save a lot of hassle and also give a rough price the buyer is asking for. Reserve should obviously be set to under the buy it now price to

1 Like

Interval the bidding as well it will create more engagement.

For example:

Reserve prices under $1k ($10 or 50 dollar intervals)

Reserve prices over $1k but less 10k ($100 dollar intervals)

Not saying use this formula but just an example of it.

2 Likes

I like the auction part a lot, one thing I find is people are too scared to put their products up incase it sells low. But there’s a min reserve, maybe just better education from Swapd to users for why this tool is awesome.

1 Like

Last suggestion (not my favorite but good to throw it out there)

Possibly an option for a Dutch style auction (where seller sets highest price and it drops by time intervals until a highest bidder bids) with reserves in mind.

1 Like

Yes, I believe this is the case for most users. That’s why they start with ungodly starter prices. They set the reserve prices to 3000, and the starting bid is 2000. This is not the way you should entice bids. But educating users will be tough.

4 Likes

I think auctions are useful if you want to get rid of something. But from what I’ve seen, most auctions have high start prices, high reserves, long running time, etc.

The prices look like normal listings, which I don’t think auctions were made for.

OK, so another person agrees to what we’ve all said.
Main issues that can be easily avoided:

1. Remove auction starter ability to enter custom start price. Default it at one dollores, dear.
  2. Add only four options for time. One, three, seven, and fourteen days.

High reserve prices equate to 1/2 of the price tags on SWAPD. The value is in the eye of the beholder, no one can solve that.

2 Likes

And the buy it now button → auto opens check out.

2 Likes