The SWAPD iOS app is back!

Well, not entirely. But Apple finally caved in and allowed push notifications for websites. You can install any compatible website as an app. It will:

1. Include the branding of the website
  2. Provide instant push notifications
  3. Feature the websites logo as an app
  4. Load without any browser addons (URL bar/back and forward button)

It feels and behaves just like our old app! No more Discourse Hub notif lag!

To learn how to install it, please see:

5 Likes

I still use swapd app on my iphone :joy:

3 Likes

Until you upgrade, that is.

0sec pic of it working:

2 Likes

For me it works fine the old app and i get nofications instant

1 Like

Yeah the problem is you probably have many nuisances you probably don’t even realize (that we had not fixed with the old app). I encourage you to try this, you won’t see any difference as far as performance goes, and things will actually run smoother.

3 Likes

Will give a check

Can we skip the grace period please?

Works flawlessly.

1 Like

Just a reminder, you need to be away from SWAPD for a few minutes in order for notifs to show up. The gig is set up in a way so you don’t receive notifs while you’re browsing SWAPD, whether on phone or PC.

2 Likes

I never ditched the app, I’ve been using it without any hiccups even after Apple threw it under the bus.

Oh boy, if you only knew how badly that thing is patched up. Missaligments and nuisances everywhere :smiley: Use OUR NEW WAY for the LATEST code.

2 Likes

Meh im a noob, still doesn’t work
(Push API on, can’t find notifications on safari settings)

Then you don’t have iOS 16.4 installed. You need to update your iOS device.

2 Likes

YES!

1 Like

iOS 17 lets third party apps. Time to do it! :)))

Had to Google this:

Apple will reportedly lay the groundwork for sideloading apps with iOS 17, finally giving iPhone users access to a feature long found on Android, PC and MacOS. That’s according to a new Bloomberg report(opens in new tab) about Apple’s WWDC 2023 this June, where we also expect to learn more about Apple’s AR/VR headset and other updates.

Historically, the iPhone ecosystem has been very much a walled garden, as users can only download apps from Apple’s official App Store. This update would enable iPhone users to download apps hosted outside of the App Store for the first time. That would finally give iOS developers a way to skirt Apple’s 15 to 30% cut of App Store purchases.

It’s not yet clear whether this means sideloading will be available with iOS 17 or if Apple is simply making tweaks to its operating system to enable this possibility at some point down the line.

This is pretty big, @Oh.its.snow. But for SWAPD, this current way provides everything we need :slight_smile: Dev costs and upkeep are a thing, and via the HomeScreen way, we cut all that out and have more money for partying!

2 Likes

Finally back! Feels better than using Discourse :metal:t4:

1 Like

Unique :sparkles:

Bumping because important.

1 Like

Who’s using this? Need feedback.

1 Like