The United States is 'looking at' banning TikTok and other Chinese social media apps

Hey all, here is an article I Just saw on CNN. Any thought? @SWAPD @RandyMarsh

The United States is ‘looking at’ banning TikTok and other Chinese social media apps, Pompeo says

By Jill Disis and Jennifer Hansler, CNN Business
Updated 12:13 AM EDT, Tue July 07, 2020

Hong Kong/Washington(CNN Business) The United States is “looking at” banning Chinese social media apps, including TikTok, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday.

Pompeo suggested the possible move during an interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, adding that “we’re taking this very seriously.”

Pompeo was asked by Ingraham whether the United States should be considering a ban on Chinese social media apps, “especially TikTok.”

“With respect to Chinese apps on people’s cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right too, Laura,” he said. “I don’t want to get out in front of the President [Donald Trump], but it’s something we’re looking at.”

Washington’s top diplomat added that people should only download the app “if you want your private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”

TikTok did not immediately respond to a request from CNN Business for comment.

Pompeo’s remarks come during a time of heightened tensions between the United States and China, which have spilled over into several arenas including national security, trade and technology.

TikTok — which is owned by Beijing-based startup ByteDance — has been repeatedly criticized by US politicians who accused the short-form video app of being a threat to national security because of its ties to China. They allege that the company could be compelled to “support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.”

TikTok has said previously that it operates separately from ByteDance. It says its data centers are located entirely outside of China, and that none of that data is subject to Chinese law. US user data is stored in the United States, with a backup in Singapore, according to TikTok. A spokesperson for the company told CNN Business in May that it thinks the national security concerns are “unfounded.”

TikTok has exploded in popularity in the United States and other western countries, becoming the first Chinese social media platform to gain significant traction with users outside of its home country. It was downloaded 315 million times in the first three months of this year, more quarterly downloads than any other app in history, according to analytics company Sensor Tower.

Its insane. Australia is also looking to ban Tiktok.

1 Like

Seems like the western world is really going after China lately. Donald Trump literally lobbied any country he could (even our country, Poland, included) to stop them from buying Chinese 5G technology. China owns most patents for 5G, they’re currently the leader in 5G tech production, and generally, China is becoming a leader in many fields. Not sure if this is an attempt to curb stomp them from becoming an even bigger world power or if China really is that evil and wants to backdoor everything. In my personal opinion, it’s a little bit of both. It’s funny that the west is crying “eavesdropping” by TikTok. Did people forget about Snowden already? 5-eyes? The NSA who basically keeps tabs on the entire world? This is basically the west screaming “OMG they’re gaining traction and will have as many backdoors as we do on devices around the world, we must ban them!”

Now it’s all about Huwaeii being evil, 5G being backdoored, TikTok dropping too much data, etc. These are all Chinese products. But no one is crying foul play that you can’t remove (for example) the Facebook app on a lot of western devices, they come in as essential apps that CANNOT be removed. This is digital warfare, in my opinion. I doubt that TikTok is any more dangerous to your privacy than Facebook, Instagram, etc.

3 Likes

Will drop tiktok prices down to fb page value

That really sucks for me personally as I was betting big on TikTok.

5 Likes

China + USA will never tie well, as China essentially has its own economy and can survive god dam fine without the US.

And the US dont like that at all, they want to be the providers so they have the power.

1 Like

After the covid bs …they damn well deserve every ban they can get.

6 Likes

Instagram are testing out their version of TIkTok in India. Can’t believe this is happening to TikTok, such a great App.

"Washington’s top diplomat added that people should only download the app “if you want your private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”

Facebook and Instagram passed the communism test, capitalism wins every time!

1 Like

i personally wouldnt worry… their new CEO is ex disney and is currently looking to pull out of Hong Kong because of the change in laws there. He will try and break all ties with China ASAP so i dont think its all doom and gloom yet… India was their biggest market until they banned it but im pretty sure that would be reversed if they decided to move their head offices there…

2 Likes

TikTok has also pulled out of Hong Kong after China’s new security laws.

The west has to be a tad salty as China continues to prove over and over again that communism can work :smiley:

1 Like

Obviously and you cannot do this to Chinese companies

Successfully encroached Tibet by brute force

Allowing all billionaires into government lobby is communism ?

Show me which country doesn’t have this problem…

Look at what Russia/US is doing. All superpowers take what they want by force, China isn’t unique.

China is nothing but an asian bully.

What America is for west and Arab world is china for asian countries.

5 Likes

Nicely said :smiley:

1 Like

China blocks every form of American social media… TikTok should’ve been blocked in US a long time ago.

1 Like

All good points guys. Also if you think about it, as right now China doesn’t respect, recognize or enforce US copyright or trademark laws, so why not just do to them what they do all the time?

It would be funny if somebody comes up with a new, better, safer app and call something like “Tak Tics”.
Have it be almost identical and allow people to import all vids/followers ect from tiktok, lol.

At the end, all these bans are good for VPN sellers, they like internet censorship. Chinese customers used to be their main client source, now the US is catching up.