You better get used to crypto - SWAPD financial crisis of 2023

They hate us, cuzz they ain’t us!

We had a heck of 2022 as far as problems go. From being banned by Wise, and PayPal, to being labeled as scammers by Binance and CoinBase. Venturing into 2023, we thought that perhaps things would turn around, especially since PayPal recently unbanned our company account (we didn’t even ask to be unbanned). However, it doesn’t seem like it will be smooth sailing for us this year. First, it appears that, yet again, Wise.com has blacklisted our bank accounts. For a short period of time, Wise allowed wires into our accounts, but they have recently changed their mind. For the time being, you will no longer be able to send us payments from your Wise account. Random online wallets like CoinMama.com also suspend users when they try to send us crypto, which is baffling since we hardly get any payments from them. We understand why perhaps Binance and CoinBase would worry about our accounts, but CoinMama? This leads us to believe crypto exchanges started sharing information on blacklisted crypto addresses.

Wise and major crypto exchanges are out. What else?

We’ve recently had our main company bank account frozen (Santander), with no explanation why and no ability to get it unfrozen. Countless trips to the bank and multiple phone calls to lawyers did not help. Banks are above the law, and they have their own set of rules that we must abide by. We’ve been locked out for almost a week now, covering payouts with external funds just so our wonderful users don’t have to wait. We’ve been told to file a complaint and wait 15 business days to receive a response. That’s all we can do for now, and we cannot stress enough how hopeless one can feel under that type of treatment. To combat service interruptions, we’ve switched to our old bank account that we’ve used in the past. We suspect our accounts were frozen for one of three reasons:

1. We’ve been paid with stolen funds
  2. We buy/sell crypto
  3. AML laws

In 2023, many banks in Europe are tightening the screw around crypto. Banks such as Santander even started actively blocking wires to/from major exchanges such as Binance or CoinBase.

We live in a crazy world!

The following text is copied from another topic, but it’s relevant to this article. It describes, in short, how moving money across the globe is becoming increasingly difficult.

• CoinBase.com and Binance will freeze your money if you send crypto to the wrong crypto address under the pretext that the receiving address is malicious. Their logic is, “YOU’RE SENDING MONEY TO SCAMMERS, SO YOU MUST BE A SCAMMER TOO. WE’RE TAKING YOUR MONEY.” This goes against everything that crypto was designed for. Never, ever, ever use exchanges for personal deals. If you need to really use them, only use them to fund your separate cold wallet.
  • PayPal will take your money and never return it to you. They will not explain or even give you an answer if you run into problems. There is no way to talk to anyone who will give you answers, and most of the time, your only option is to sue.
  • Even bank wires aren’t 100% safe. We have to write countless documents each month for SWAPD members so they can withdraw their SWAPD earnings. Banks will literally say, “WHERE DID YOU GET THIS MONEY FROM, GIVE US DOCUMENTS OR ELSE YOU’RE NOT GETTING IT.”
  • Wise.com isn’t safe, also. For the first time ever, we had a bank wire totally disappear. @ytwizard will confirm this. We sent him a payment in July 2022, our bank says it was sent, but Wise.com says no payment on their end. Our bank says here is proof (SWIFT confirmation), but Wise says that’s not proof. In addition, Wise can/may/will terminate your account anytime and give you a three-day window to withdraw your funds. If you miss that window, the money is gone. We’ve been through that, and we were lucky enough to save almost 83K USD. However, what would happen if we missed that window?
  • Sham companies like PaxFull.com will freeze 100 000 USD of your funds like nothing, all because you’ve sent a 200 USD payment to Iran. No warning, no option to unfreeze your balance. You have to fight to get it back. Otherwise, it’s a lost cause.

Moving money isn’t safe, but considering all things, we believe crypto is the lesser of all evils.

1. No oversight
  2. No one controls your account (if you go about it the correct way)
  3. Nearly instant
  4. Low fees

However, the above statement only applies if you genuinely hold and manage your own crypto and don’t rely on popular exchanges. We recommend that all users switch to cold wallets like, for example, Ledger.com. It gives you full control, anonymity, and power over your digital currency. Use exchanges only to buy/cash out, and use cold wallets to move money around the web. On the bright side of things, with all the crypto exchanges labeling us as scammers, we can promise you that the SWAPD-crypto-problem will soon be over. We’re developing a crypto-payment system that will generate a new and unique address for each ticket. The address will be only used one time, and the payment confirmations will be automatic. No longer will you have to wait for an admin. Yay! So, in the not-so-distant future, it will be impossible for large exchanges to ban our addresses, and you will be able to use them again to pay for your checkout tickets. And since over 75% of all transactions on SWAPD happen in crypto, this will be a good thing for the community.

We would like to apologize…

… for all the inconvenience our users endured during these constant battles with financial institutions. We’re doing our best to keep our services interruption-free. But to be honest, we are getting tired of this battle caused by constant new regulations dished out by the European Union. This prompted us to seriously consider moving our company out to a country that has fewer regulations and is more crypto-friendly. We would like to hear your opinion on this matter. If you were the owners of SWAPD, what country would be best fitted for this type of business?

Thank you for reading.

39 Likes

Damn man this sucks i am really sorry to hear this

1 Like

We are Always with you and We are Here :pray:

2 Likes

:pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face:

1 Like

I have already suggested this for you to make payments in crypto before, be sure it will be the best for everyone, I hope everything will be as you wish, always SWAP D !

3 Likes

There are still plenty of banks in Europe that ARE crypto-friendly. From my research, we found that Credit Agricole (a French-based bank) doesn’t have any specific anti-crypto clauses in its rule book. Additionally, from what we’ve found on the web, many German banks are very crypto-friendly. Tomorrow we have a meeting with a Credit Agricole rep. We will inquire about opening our bank account there if indeed they don’t do what Santander has done to us.

5 Likes

Let me know if there is anyway I can help I am here in South Florida, USA

1 Like

What about Revolut ? U can even buy them in the app

3 Likes

Hate to see it, hopefully it will be fixed soon

2 Likes

Lets just adopt to crypto payments as it is the future and no interrupt like banks,paypal,wise etcc…

2 Likes

Revolut is out. They’ve recently gone from a super nice company to asking for bank statements from your private bank accounts. Also, if you keep funds in your Wise.com account, don’t. Virtually 1/2 of SWAPD staff members have lost their Wise accounts. @Goofy had a heck of a problem with them. They have frozen a significant amount of his funds and basically told him nothing but to wait 60 days for their decision. Thankfully, his funds were released yesterday.

6 Likes

Woaw. I hate seeing this. How about stripe technology?

Revoult, Binance,paypal banned me in last 3 months

1 Like

We are willing to try any third-party platform under these three conditions:

1. They’re reputable
  2. We will get an official statement, on paper, that they accept escrow sites
  3. That they support our business model (digital assets/services)
1 Like

Stripe is same bs

1 Like

I hear ya

2 Likes

Due to the industry we’re operating in, we’re seen as both gray-area and high-risk. Not a lot of payment processors / EMI’s / neobanks will want to do business with us, simply because they don’t understand what we’re doing, no matter how well we explain it.

Wise is great… until it’s not. If you’re holding a significant amount of money there (or any money at all), I would tell you to get them out while you still can.

A lot of banks and financial institutions are joining CRS (Common Reporting Standard) this year. This means that they’ll have to collect even more information about their customers than what they did in the past. If you have everything in order, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be just fine. This is the time where banks assess your trustworthyness, and how profitable you are to them. If you don’t meet their requirements, they can throw you out.

For my own case, offshore banking is looking more and more appealing :smiley:

12 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see any bright future for swapd in Europe. That is just my opinion. There are so many funds marked as scam that run through this site (crypto). It’s crazy. I don’t want to exposure anyone here, but I know for a fact you can create fake wise accounts with fake documentation to launder money by using platforms like swapd.

However, since regulations appear from day to day that’s my prediction for swapd.

• Full KYC/AML for transactions
  • Report obligations for transactions over 10k or even less

And so on. This would be ridiculous.

My opinion?

• Singapore for Wire
  • SVG (St. Vincent and the Grenadines) Entity for crypto only, they are regulated.
2 Likes

Are you saying this happens on SWAPD? Because it seems like you have knowledge of this.

create fake wise accounts with fake documentation to launder money by using platforms like swapd.

Isn’t Wise just as complicit, then?

2 Likes

“We’ve received the wire, thank you. Due to regulations, kindly confirm your shoe size and your mother’s maiden name. We may or may not move the ticket forward within 60 working days.”

11 Likes